Real men have feelings too! At times they need a little extra help keeping it real… with similar notes as lavender, petitgrain is a manlier smell, you know, for the real men.
Fun Fact: The name Petitgrain is a French word that translates to “little grains.” It was given this name because the fruit of the bitter orange tree is quite small for a citrus fruit—about the size of a cherry.
Distilled from the leaves and twigs of the Citrus aurantium L. (bitter orange) tree, Petitgrain essential oil has a long history of use in perfumery and for its many health benefits. Despite being derived from a citrus tree, with high concentrations of linalyl acetate and linalool, Petitgrain is actually more chemically similar to floral and herb essential oils. Its refreshing combination of citrus, floral, and slightly woody aromatic notes provides some insight into its unique spectrum of benefits. Along with its distinct scent, Petitgrain offers calming, cleansing, and several body system-supporting benefits.
For more about the chemistry of Petitgrain click here.
Petitgrain Oil Uses and Benefits
- Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of Petitgrain oil is its ability to promote relaxing feelings. Due to its chemical makeup, Petitgrain essential oil can be helpful in creating a calm, relaxed environment to promote feelings of relaxation. Consider placing a few drops of Petitgrain on your pillows and bedding before going to bed in order to enjoy its aromatic benefits. You can also combine other relaxing oils like Lavender or Bergamot with Petitgrain on the bedding to promote a more relaxing atmosphere.
- Petitgrain oil has long been known for its benefits to the body when taken internally. Taking Petitgrain internally can help benefit internal systems like the cardiovascular, nervous, digestive, and immune systems.* To enjoy the internal benefits of Petitgrain oil for the body’s systems, add one to two drops of the oil to water or other beverages.* Not only will this allow you to reap the internal benefits of the oil, but you’ll simultaneously get to enjoy the fresh taste that Petitgrain has to offer.
- The relaxing properties of Petitgrain essential oil can also be beneficial for massage. When you want a relaxing foot massage, dilute a few drops of Petitgrain oil with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil before rubbing the combination on the bottoms of the feet. As you breathe in the calming scent of Petitgrain oil and massage the feet, you’ll feel relaxed in no time.
- While the internal use of Petitgrain oil can be helpful for promoting health of body systems, it can also help further promote relaxation and calm feelings.* Consider taking Petitgrain essential oil internally when you want to ease tense feelings, calm the nervous system, or promote a restful night’s sleep.*
- Similar to other citrus essential oils, Petitgrain oil makes a great addition to hot beverages. If you enjoy drinking herbal tea or other hot drinks, consider adding a few drops of Petitgrain oil to help enhance the flavor. Not only will you enjoy the unique flavor of Petitgrain oil, but you’ll also benefit from the calming properties it provides.*
- To help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections, consider adding a couple drops of Petitgrain oil to Fractionated Coconut Oil and applying it to skin blemishes or imperfections. When using a new essential oil topically, it can be helpful to test a small dose of the oil on your skin to ensure that it doesn’t cause any skin sensitivity or irritation. Due to their potency, it is also important to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before using them on the skin to help minimize skin irritation.
- Want to create a calming atmosphere in your home, office, or classroom? Diffuse Petitgrain oil in the essential oil diffuser of your choice when you want to create a relaxing, calming environment. You can also combine Petitgrain with other calming oils like Bergamot, Lavender, or Eucalyptus to further promote relaxation.
- Along with benefits for the systems of the body, Petitgrain oil may also provide antioxidant support when taken internally.* To enjoy the antioxidant benefits that Petitgrain oil has to offer, consider taking one to two drops in a doTERRA Veggie Cap for a dietary supplement.*
FOR MORE CHECK OUT THE SPOTLIGHT PAGE.
Are you a manly man who wants this oil? Want petitgrain for your manly man? Check out my doTERRA page for more information.